You are not logged in.

× Rides
Let's discuss everything to with rides: club runs, sportives (not SNCC sportive), audaxes, impromptu rides - routes, who's going to ride, ride experiences and so on

Introductory ride

• JudeDudd
  • Topic Author
More
07 Mar 2013 13:57 #1 by JudeDudd
Introductory ride was created by JudeDudd
I really enjoyed the introductory ride Sunday and would like something a little more challenging but I'm not sure I'm ready for group 2 yet! There was a lot of talk about a possible 3rd group, is anyone else keen to do 30-35 miles? We have a group of two so far!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Chrisbpr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • What's the worst that can happen ?
More
07 Mar 2013 14:08 #2 by Chrisbpr
Replied by Chrisbpr on topic Re: Introductory ride
I would say just give a group 2 ride a go.

Because of the numbers involved on the rides these days there does tend to be a split and don't worry as there will always be a club member on hand to stay with you to either go at a steadier pace or find a shorter way home...you wont be left on your lonesome.

More
07 Mar 2013 21:36 #3 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Re: Introductory ride
FWIW, I came out on the intro ride last month and like you, I found it not too challenging so I decided to make the leap to group 2 and I'm glad I did. The first two rides I dropped off at some point but last week I stayed with the main group all the way round to do my first half century :) (well nearly, 49 miles!). As Chris says, someone will always stay with you and give you the encouragement to get round, I know this from experience :).

Come out on Sunday, I'm sure you won't regret it.

Tony.

• JudeDudd
  • Topic Author
More
07 Mar 2013 22:21 #4 by JudeDudd
Replied by JudeDudd on topic Re: Introductory ride
Tempted, may give it a couple more weeks! We've planned 40 miles for Sunday and are doing Wiggle no excuses next weekend so its not the distance that's the problem, its female legs... we just don't want to slow anyone down!

More
08 Mar 2013 18:51 #5 by Tardus
Replied by Tardus on topic Re: Introductory ride
Jude, several of us are doing the No Excuses 40 mile, so there is company available! I'd urge you to try Group 2 . You will soon get the legs, you won't ever be left and NOBODY minds.

• rostlr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Road Race Sec
More
09 Mar 2013 08:11 #6 by rostlr
Replied by rostlr on topic Re: Introductory ride
I think we're almost at the point nwhere we have the numbers for a third group. In recent weeks group 2 has been naturally splitting on rides. The group does have a wide range of abilities and I think all riders would benefit if it split into two differently paced groups. A third group could either ride a shorter route than the current group 2, or the same route but at a more relaxed pace.

However, for this to work it needs a few people to step forward and lead the rides. If you're interested please let one of the committee members know (Me, Mark Colmer and Steve Rodley have done a lot of the route planning/leading and have a good reservoir of routes we're slowly compiling).

Ultimately, the club is run by its members for its members, our success depends upon people putting themselves forward to do stuff. The club committee can only do so much (however much we try to deny it we all have lives/jobs taking up time outside of cycling). So, if you want the club to do something that it currently isn't, the committee will be happy to let you take the lead (provided it is legal of course!).

Anyway, good luck to all those riding the Wiggle event, hopefully things will warm a little....

• JudeDudd
  • Topic Author
More
09 Mar 2013 19:42 #7 by JudeDudd
Thanks, will definitely be back to try a group 2 ride and always happy to get involved.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Mar 2013 17:32 #8 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Introductory ride

I think we're almost at the point nwhere we have the numbers for a third group. In recent weeks group 2 has been naturally splitting on rides. The group does have a wide range of abilities and I think all riders would benefit if it split into two differently paced groups. A third group could either ride a shorter route than the current group 2, or the same route but at a more relaxed pace.

However, for this to work it needs a few people to step forward and lead the rides. If you're interested please let one of the committee members know (Me, Mark Colmer and Steve Rodley have done a lot of the route planning/leading and have a good reservoir of routes we're slowly compiling).

Ultimately, the club is run by its members for its members, our success depends upon people putting themselves forward to do stuff. The club committee can only do so much (however much we try to deny it we all have lives/jobs taking up time outside of cycling). So, if you want the club to do something that it currently isn't, the committee will be happy to let you take the lead (provided it is legal of course!).

Anyway, good luck to all those riding the Wiggle event, hopefully things will warm a little....

hi there R O reading the last group 2 run report it appeared to me to be a bit of a road race,any potential beginners wanting to move up Gr 2 may just may have been put off...I thought the idea of GR2 was to accommodate slower riders, less miles and anyone who is too strong would be encouraged to move to Gr 1.. i just wonder where it has gone wrong....Geoff............ :evil: :evil:

More
10 Mar 2013 18:30 #9 by CambourneMark
Replied by CambourneMark on topic Re: Introductory ride
AS Richard says there are a wide range of abilities in group 2 but I doubt if there are many in group 2 that could manage the kind of speed group 1 did on their ride last week-19.8 mph over 60+ miles isn't for the faint hearted as you know Geoff and those boys don't want anyone holding them back!

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Mar 2013 19:29 #10 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Introductory ride
Hi Mark i was just posting about the Gr 2 not Gr 1...i did assume (wrongly ) that Gr 2 stayed together, not making mad dashes up hills and leaving people stuck at level crossings, never to be seen again...but remember i am ONLY reading the report, so i cannot comment on what actually goes on..see ya soon G/..

More
10 Mar 2013 19:51 #11 by CambourneMark
Replied by CambourneMark on topic Re: Introductory ride
See you in April Geoff.

Still training hard towards my target of a first group 1 ride in August 2018 :P

• JudeDudd
  • Topic Author
More
10 Mar 2013 20:01 #12 by JudeDudd
I only managed 27 miles this morning before I lost feeling in everything and went home to the bath so glad I didn't attempt group 2 today or I'd probably have gone home in tears!

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds
Go to top