You are not logged in.

× Rides
Let's discuss everything to with rides: club runs, sportives (not SNCC sportive), audaxes, impromptu rides - routes, who's going to ride, ride experiences and so on

Chain Gang

• rostlr
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Road Race Sec
More
24 Mar 2013 21:54 - 25 Mar 2013 00:31 #1 by rostlr
Chain Gang was created by rostlr
The idea of a circuit route for the chain gang has come up a few times in conversation. So, how about this: gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_2914923.html . Start at the Bushmead cross roads, head west and do a clockwise circuit through Bolnhurst and Colmworth.

5mile warm-up and warm-down from and back to St Neots. The circuit is 5.6miles, so you could do 4or 5 circuits.

I think for people wanting to race, this might be a better option than the B645. Mostly because it's got bends and corners, so more realistic of a race circuit. It's not entirely flat either.

Also being a circuit, riders could miss the first one or two circuits and join a bit later. Or take a lap out. Or if we had two groups, do a chase.
Last edit: 25 Mar 2013 00:31 by alec. Reason: Fixing link

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2013 06:25 #2 by Mark Colmer
Replied by Mark Colmer on topic Re: Chain Gang
I like the idea, well worth a try.
;)

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
25 Mar 2013 07:01 #3 by GarethS
Replied by GarethS on topic Re: Chain Gang
Also think this is a good alternative, especially as it means I don't have to struggle up the Bushmead hill to get home! :evil:

More
25 Mar 2013 09:00 #4 by Bott
Replied by Bott on topic Re: Chain Gang
A good idea - the Kimbolton Road can get quite dodgy at times.

An alternative 9.5 mile circuit that Beds Road guys sometimes do (as a chain gang but with a race to the end of each loop) starts at G. Barford cross roads, Roxton, over bypass, left to Colesden, Ducks Cross, Wilden, left up the hill back to Barford cross roads.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
25 Mar 2013 10:30 #5 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Chain Gang

The idea of a circuit route for the chain gang has come up a few times in conversation. So, how about this: gb.mapometer.com/cycling/route_2914923.html . Start at the Bushmead cross roads, head west and do a clockwise circuit through Bolnhurst and Colmworth.

5mile warm-up and warm-down from and back to St Neots. The circuit is 5.6miles, so you could do 4or 5 circuits.

I think for people wanting to race, this might be a better option than the B645. Mostly because it's got bends and corners, so more realistic of a race circuit. It's not entirely flat either.

Also being a circuit, riders could miss the first one or two circuits and join a bit later. Or take a lap out. Or if we had two groups, do a chase.

:P Hi R O but you never go on the chaingang,,,also 99% of the guys ride only the club TT,,i just wonder if "circuit training" is any good for straight line flat out racing,(TT),,It is once again a subject which keeps popping up,, and in the end we have posters proposing another route or routes..i can assure any potential PB rider for the club TT curcuit will improve only with speed training and not being dumped out of the back around dodgy corners ,,but what do i know..G,, :kiss: :evil:

• rostlr
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Road Race Sec
More
25 Mar 2013 11:05 #6 by rostlr
Replied by rostlr on topic Re: Chain Gang
Hi Geoff,

The main reason I don't do the Chain gang is that I'm not home from work in time. Although I know they've been setting off a bit later more recently. Also, early evening it's not a road I always feel safe on. I think the road/time does put people off.

If our club TT was a long straight circuit, you would have a point, but it isn't. Unless you plan to race exclusively dual carriageways TTs or the N1/10 at Sawtry, many of the local circuits are lumpy/bendy Spoco's. If you want to smash your pb on the N1/10, you're best doing the St Ives TT's on Wednesdays.

I think quite a few of the regulars are planning to have a go at some circuit races this summer, so being able to get around a dodgy corner without being dumped will definitely come in handy.

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
25 Mar 2013 11:27 #7 by GarethS
Replied by GarethS on topic Re: Chain Gang

... being able to get around a dodgy corner without being dumped will definitely come in handy.

Or junction where we have priority ...

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
25 Mar 2013 12:16 #8 by geoffrey smith

Hi Geoff,

The main reason I don't do the Chain gang is that I'm not home from work in time. Although I know they've been setting off a bit later more recently. Also, early evening it's not a road I always feel safe on. I think the road/time does put people off.

If our club TT was a long straight circuit, you would have a point, but it isn't. Unless you plan to race exclusively dual carriageways TTs or the N1/10 at Sawtry, many of the local circuits are lumpy/bendy Spoco's. If you want to smash your pb on the N1/10, you're best doing the St Ives TT's on Wednesdays.

I think quite a few of the regulars are planning to have a go at some circuit races this summer, so being able to get around a dodgy corner without being dumped will definitely come in handy.

Hi there R O completely agree..i will watch from above,,,,sorry i have a smile on my face,, bon courage a tous..G... :P ,, :evil:

• rostlr
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Road Race Sec
More
25 Mar 2013 13:01 #9 by rostlr
Geoff, Smile on your face? yeah well you probably have sun and warmth your way - please bring some when you come back to blighty, otherwise we're all coming to stay yours!

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
25 Mar 2013 13:07 #10 by geoffrey smith
Hi RO its cold here only 14c but clear blue skies and warm sun,,its going to snow at the week end in St neots , but we are over from the 8th of April,, so i will bring over some nice warm weather,,are you working or loafing.ah ah G.... :kiss: . :evil:

• rostlr
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Road Race Sec
More
25 Mar 2013 13:46 #11 by rostlr
That's 14 deg warmer than here :(

More