You are not logged in.

× Rides
Let's discuss everything to with rides: club runs, sportives (not SNCC sportive), audaxes, impromptu rides - routes, who's going to ride, ride experiences and so on

Chain Gang

• garyn
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Feb 2016 09:04 #1 by garyn
Chain Gang was created by garyn
I think we have an idea of what we want to do after last nights ride.

Based on the turnout last night we will operate a hare and hounds format with the first group leaving roughly 5 minutes before the faster guys with one rider from the faster group dropping down into the first group each week.

For next week i'll lead the first group and we will look to set off at 6:55

The route will be the standard B645 up to Higham Ferres and back. Whilst a quick road it's wide and open and the traffic dies down fairly quickly after we leave St Neots.
You will need lights at this time of year.
Last night we achieved 21.5 mph so with an efficient group I think we should look to improve on that.
If we get caught don't try and latch on as that disrupts the rhythm of the group.
If the group size is less than 8 i'd be looking at turns of about a minute on the front, 8 or above lends itself to a proper chain gang format.
If you are feeling stronger you can always do a longer turn, just a quick waggle of your outside elbow will signify you've done enough
If you are struggling or falling off the back please communicate this and the group can adjust accordingly, especially on the hills.

The hare group would have been 4 last night which works, but we could always do with more as less than 4 means there's a tough night ahead.

Whilst it would be nice to stay away from the fast group the primary objective is to stay together and ride consistently as an efficient group is a faster group

I think that's about it. Any additions or questions please post away.

Gary

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2016 10:15 #2 by Ollyw
Replied by Ollyw on topic Re: Chain Gang
Hi Gary,

In addition to the lads out last night, there is quite a few others of Medium group riders who will be coming out (work, lives etc dependent). The only suggestion i would make is that we leave at 1850 for the first few weeks because CG at speed is slightly different for most of us and takes time to get right and having Jon S fly past you on his MTB is slightly depressing :ohmy:

Cheers
Olly

• garyn
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
03 Feb 2016 12:36 - 03 Feb 2016 13:02 #3 by garyn
Replied by garyn on topic Re: Chain Gang
Hi Olly and thanks for your response.

I believe we had a similar conversation 12 months ago and for whatever reason it didn't quite work out and we reverted to a single group fairly early on in the year.

For now I'm minded to keep the start time at 6:55 for the following reasons:

1. 6:55 is the ready to ride time not the normal SNCC + 5 minutes faffing time. So be ready at 6:50
2. If the slower group rides at 21.5 mph and the quick guys 23.5 mph this means they will finish the course 3 minutes ahead of us, which equates to roughly a mile, not a huge distance. This also ignores the fact that the quick group will have faffing time, so it could well be much tighter.
3. 5 minutes could make the difference between partaking and not partaking. It can for me.
4. It's not a race, if they come past so be it. The objective is to improve technique and fitness with the added incentive someone is chasing you.

We can always amend in the future if the situation deems it necessary.

One point worth mentioning is that people need to be honest with themselves regarding their level of fitness. The CG is a tough training ride, that's its sole function. I would suggest that a minimum requirement is to be able to complete the course (in a group) at an average pace in excess of 20mph, you have certainly ridden significantly faster than that so you understand what's required. Turning up expecting a Sunday ride pace will only lead to frustration.I do appreciate that individuals wont fully understand what they can achieve until they've had a go so it's a learning curve for all as to where to pitch it.

and finally Jon will have turned off way before they catch us. He finds the full course too taxing for his little legs. :)

I trust that all makes sense.

Gary
Last edit: 03 Feb 2016 13:02 by garyn.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 Feb 2016 13:25 #4 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Chain Gang
looking forward to the CG on the 16th G...will it rain ??? hope not ah ah

More
03 Feb 2016 22:01 #5 by Dave
Replied by Dave on topic Re: Chain Gang
Aiming to come along as of next week and hang on for as long as I can. Fitness is nowhere near the level for the full distance right now but the plan is to try and hang on a bit longer each week.

Maybe something to add is that anyone struggling can always turn back early and be swallowed by the group on their way back.

More
04 Feb 2016 19:08 #6 by Rob101
Replied by Rob101 on topic Re: Chain Gang
Dave that is exactly what i intend on doing... hanging on for as long as I can. Last week I lasted 2 miles before gaping started lucky for me that Chris towed me at speed until we met up with the gang again half way around. All good fun but really hard good.

More
04 Feb 2016 22:00 #7 by Steve_walker94
Replied by Steve_walker94 on topic Re: Chain Gang
If there are the numbers for group 2 so be it
But talk is cheap

More
05 Feb 2016 16:50 #8 by Rob101
Replied by Rob101 on topic Re: Chain Gang
Steve there was 12 last ride only need a few more to make a second group the same size as the elite group.

More
06 Feb 2016 20:11 #9 by Steve_walker94
Replied by Steve_walker94 on topic Re: Chain Gang
Ok rob
Will try to be there this coming Tuesday
Steve

• garyn
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
09 Feb 2016 12:52 #10 by garyn
Weather is definitely on the up.

The quick guys could well be down on numbers with a few off breaking bones in the snow so it's an ideal opportunity to get one over on them

6:55 R2R

More
09 Feb 2016 13:30 #11 by Dave
Replied by Dave on topic Re: Chain Gang
I'll tag on for as long as I can, might meet at the A1 bridge as I usually get dropped on Crosshall Road.

• garyn
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 Feb 2016 15:21 #12 by garyn
Weather looking cool, but dry and relatively calm.

The B645 may or may not be out of action, any reports of the state of play Tuesday PM would be most welcome. We'll decide on the day.

If we have to resort to a plan B route there is either our old route, which was out Bushmead way or we could do 3 laps of our TT course. Think of an Ashman on steroids.

Usual format of two groups, which thinking about it would work better on a smaller circuit rather than out and back.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds
Go to top