You are not logged in.

× Rides
Let's discuss everything to with rides: club runs, sportives (not SNCC sportive), audaxes, impromptu rides - routes, who's going to ride, ride experiences and so on

Rutland CiCle Classic - 27th April 2014

• GarethS
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
30 Mar 2014 21:37 #1 by GarethS
Richard posted about this last year and I thought I'd best get the ball rolling this year as it's as close as we get to a "spring"/cobbled classic in the UK (all be it more like cyclocross on farm tracks than cobbles!)

Last year we headed up to Owston via Oundle and Uppingham and stopped in the latter for a much needed bacon and egg sandwich/coffee.

Adrian Bloxham, Richard and I made the ride up with Ade putting in the miles on the way back as well. Original plan was 08:00 from the square or 08:20 from the Snooty Tavern(?) in Great Staughton.

I've not seen an entry list up yet but it's usually got a lot of the top domestic teams and a number of European level teams, I have heard viscious rumours of a few of the top tier UCI riders/teams looking to compete. Whether that's a sign of good growth of the race and interest in it or they fancy "something different" on the 10th anniversary of the race I don't know but I'll believe it when I see the entry list.

I don't see a reason why we can't use the same route as last year unless our chairman can think of a better/different way to get up there?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2014 22:32 #2 by Dave
How far is it? About 50 miles each way? Would like to try it but may form a 7:30 departing group to allow for us slower guys.

• GarethS
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
31 Mar 2014 09:04 #3 by GarethS
Replied by GarethS on topic Re: Rutland CiCle Classic - 27th April 2014
54 miles one way Dave. An 07:30 group sounds like a good plan though it makes Uppingham a more likely stop as stuff in Oundle will probably not be open at that time on a Sunday.

Also bear in mind there's usually a BBQ run by the village for spectators

Route from last year on Strava here:

www.strava.com/activities/49919987

Richard's blog may have a Garmin Connect route but I can't remember. I hope they've improved the descent into one of the villages as I don't really want my bars/brakes escaping from me again!

More
31 Mar 2014 09:21 #4 by Simon.R
Replied by Simon.R on topic Re: Rutland CiCle Classic - 27th April 2014

54 miles one way Dave.

sounds a bit threatening in a HAL kind of way :unsure:

would I be right in thinking there were a few people offering lifts home afterwards last time?

More
31 Mar 2014 13:11 #5 by Gerrard
Replied by Gerrard on topic Re: Rutland CiCle Classic - 27th April 2014

Uppingham a more likely stop as stuff in Oundle will probably not be open at that time on a Sunday.

We stopped at Uppingham last year on the Rutland Weekend, and had good lunch at the café there.
There is a Tesco in Oundle that should be open at that time

More
31 Mar 2014 14:21 #6 by Tardus
Replied by Tardus on topic Re: Rutland CiCle Classic - 27th April 2014
Simon, I will take car c/w roof bars if anyone (two) fancies a one-way trip. Really enjoyed last year. Owston village puts on a BBQ. The peloton passes through the village 5 times and Hugh Porter provides the live commentary.

More
31 Mar 2014 15:12 #7 by Mark Colmer
Replied by Mark Colmer on topic Re: Rutland CiCle Classic - 27th April 2014
Alternatively, you can do as Martin and Charles did last year. Drive there early, cycle for a few hours around that beautiful and testing countryside, watch the race and then drive home. The best of both worlds, especially if it's cold and wet!!
:whistle:

More
01 Apr 2014 00:19 #8 by Dave
Ouch! Thats a long way when you add 11 on for the Sandy splinter group.
A bail out to Pboro station could be on the cards, no chance of doing there and back.

• GarethS
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
24 Apr 2014 06:19 - 24 Apr 2014 16:03 #9 by GarethS
Replied by GarethS on topic Re: Rutland CiCle Classic - 27th April 2014
Just to update this the first pass off Owston is at 12:40 and it goes through the village a total of four times according to the timetable including two of the laps being part of the sprints competition. So I would say we want to be there by around 12 to grab a good spot.

I'm not sure what the Peterborough guys are doing but if they are doing a couple of groups they would more than likely welcome anyone wanting to head back to Peterborough for the train rather than riding back to St Neots. I'll have an ask of one of the guys I know there.

Garmin route now available connect.garmin.com/course/6362590 I've based the route on 15.5 mph average which states it should take 3 and a quarter hours so leaving at the earlier time suggested by Dave should allow for a stop at Uppingham for a bacon roll and coffee. Can't get the details of my ride last year but this was a bit quicker (being towed by Richard O and Ade B.) as it took three hours (moving time).

Distance according to Garmin Connect is just under 50 miles.
Last edit: 24 Apr 2014 16:03 by GarethS.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds
Go to top