You are not logged in.

× Rides
Let's discuss everything to with rides: club runs, sportives (not SNCC sportive), audaxes, impromptu rides - routes, who's going to ride, ride experiences and so on

Hell of St Neots - by quad bikes

• Fat Man at the Back
  • Topic Author
More
14 Apr 2014 10:19 #1 by Fat Man at the Back
Hell of St Neots - by quad bikes was created by Fat Man at the Back
Different, fun, and good weather as well.

Having struggled to find the pub (start point), perhaps this was the sign that navigation was to be key in achieving todays task.

Lots of fast road bikes were there, but for us, a quad of mtb's was the order of the day

So off we went as soon as we could, knowing we'd be passed quite quickly and that it was going to be 5 hours or so in the saddle.

It wasn't long (about 3 miles) before we passed the first skinny puncture, quickly followed by another around the 8 mile mark. Tortoise and Hare story came to mind, especially when coming across a small bunch of fast boys doubling back not sure which way to go.

By now the Garmin in our group was playing up (soon to give up altogether) so it was back to reading directions on paper, which just added to the fun on the day.

Turn right, down hill, warning deep ruts!

No kidding. How did the skinnies make it down here?

The miles rolled by through pretty villages, bluebell laden woods and field upon field of rapeseed

Around 30 mile mark, our posse became a little unsure of our position / route and so we bumbled on not entirely sure if we were on track or not. Strava reports will tell the tale I guess.

One of our group needed to execute an escape route back to civilisation due to previous engagements booked - family Sunday lunch. Oh how we wished for an invite as by now the aches and pains were kicking in.

Sonner than we expected Little Staughton airfield came into view, safe in the knowledge that there was not much further to go.

Navigating the last of the off-road sections, we were passed by a very professional looking bunch of riders with cycle-cross machines, matching kit and Garmins attached.

A swift (tailwind) ride into town was all the better knowing that chips and a cold beer were waiting at the finish.

Enjoyable, pleased to have done it and thank god we took the directions on paper.

Next year?

P.S. The tortoise didn't catch the hare this time. But there is always next time, especially if its wetter off-road

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2014 11:05 #2 by garyn
Replied by garyn on topic Re: Hell of St Neots - by quad bikes

wiv r awsum skillz :P

We were blessed with the weather and as you say if the conditions had been a bit wetter that rutted descent could well have taken a few casualties.

You forgot to mention the pub, what a great pub with a fine array of beers and ales, can we meet there on a Sunday.

I think it worked really well as an idea and I look forward to next year. Thanks to Tim for organising once more.

• Di2vid Lindsay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • kit whore
More
14 Apr 2014 19:24 #3 by Di2vid Lindsay
Replied by Di2vid Lindsay on topic Re: Hell of St Neots - by quad bikes
Superb day out in all respects, good riding, bit different, banter, race on telly, food (coq au vin), triple cooked chips, and beer!

Can it get much better?

To think people went on a club run instead simply amazes me!

I like shiny things

More
14 Apr 2014 19:33 #4 by Simon.R
Replied by Simon.R on topic Re: Hell of St Neots - by quad bikes
our little group had all bases covered with road, CX & MTB; no punctures, lots of laughs and a very welcome cold beer at the end.

we thought Tim had even laid on a half-way ice cream van for us, but it turned out to be an Ocado van doing a bit of off-roading :dry:

can't wait til next time.........although I hope the ice cream idea is given some thought :cheer:

many thanks for a great days riding

• Chrisbpr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • What's the worst that can happen ?
More
15 Apr 2014 08:03 #5 by Chrisbpr
Replied by Chrisbpr on topic Re: Hell of St Neots - by quad bikes

You forgot to mention the pub, what a great pub with a fine array of beers and ales, can we meet there on a Sunday.

Great idea,but didn't open till after 12... Perhaps Neros for a swift coffee then retire to the pub for other types of refreshment.

I didn't go on the hosn but chapeau to Tim for organising something a bit different.

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds
Go to top