× General Club Chat

The place for general chat about St Neots Cycling Club

Oi! Yobbo!

• JOHNCRACK
  • Topic Author
More
27 Sep 2017 08:53 #1 by JOHNCRACK
Oi! Yobbo! was created by JOHNCRACK
Still annoyed after 4 days (!) so posting this Facebook post here from last Sunday:

'.....Not sure who it was from the Club that yelled 'Wear a helmet!' at me as I cycled over the river this morning but I think they gave a poor impression of our club in so doing.
I'd made the perfectly laudable decision for a 66 year old duffer like me to cycle 53 miles to watch my son play football (I culd have driven) and really didn't need an arrogant clubmate yelling at me as I began my ride.
Did he think I was some local numpty, out on his new 'racer' and who was blissfully ignorant of the existence of 'helmets'? Did he shout the same at all other non-helmet-wearing oncoming riders during the club run, from the 5 year old on her pink bike with tasseled handlebars, to the old boy on his 1966 Elswick Hopper who was cycling to the pub? I do hope so!
As others who ride with me will testify I wear a helmet (see my latest Strava ride) , and ALWAYS wear one in groups of riders BUT if I assess the risk on a solo ride and occasionally choose not to (and every week I see other helmetless 'proper' riders by the way) then that's my decision and my risk.
However the issue here isn't about risk, it's about what I perceive as poor manners to yell at what may have been a perfectly respectable cyclist from ANOTHER club (as I may indeed have appeared, being suitably anonymous in having no club kit on today), certainly I know when I first joined a club back in 1970 and had I yelled out like that at another cyclist I would have got a dressing-down from my senior clubmates!
Well, that's off my chest. Oh, and in between getting kicked around the park my son's team drew 3 - 3!....'

John Crack

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
28 Sep 2017 10:04 #2 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Oi! Yobbo!
was he wearing "club colours" ? G

• JOHNCRACK
  • Topic Author
More
02 Oct 2017 12:54 #3 by JOHNCRACK
Replied by JOHNCRACK on topic Re: Oi! Yobbo!
Too big a group to see that, plus I was so shocked I just ignored it at first!

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
02 Oct 2017 18:07 #4 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Oi! Yobbo!
a group of SNCC riders ?

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds
Go to top