You are not logged in.

× Rides
Let's discuss everything to with rides: club runs, sportives (not SNCC sportive), audaxes, impromptu rides - routes, who's going to ride, ride experiences and so on

Chain Gang

More
04 Apr 2013 13:24 #37 by Justin
Replied by Justin on topic Re: Chain Gang
I'm not sure anyone understands what a 'chaingang' is and the training benefit of doing it. But riding round a circuit has its place too

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Apr 2013 17:11 #38 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Chain Gang

I'm not sure anyone understands what a 'chaingang' is and the training benefit of doing it. But riding round a circuit has its place too

Hi there J..the idea is to improve weakness in various abilities, but a "gung ho" balls out thrash by a couple of guys leaving the guys WHO need to improve off the back, achieves the opposite,.You need discipline to use a small circuit, and a guy who will keep order so all can improve, unfortunately it usually ends up with a ego trip for the strongest rider (s) there....but what do i know...Geoff,,, :kiss: ,, :evil:

• rostlr
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Road Race Sec
More
04 Apr 2013 17:45 #39 by rostlr
Replied by rostlr on topic Re: Chain Gang
Yesterday we had 5 riders out, would have been 6, but one had a mechanical on the way out, and I had one on the 3rd circuit.

We started off as 3, two more joined at various stages. One rider was clearly having an off night compared to the rest of us and was dropped quickly. Otherwise the rest of us were all of fairly equal ability and I think (mechanicals aside) would have kept together and shared the work well (one remark I hear from the B645 run is that it is often one rider dragging the rest along). As far as I'm concerned, getting people to ride as a disciplined group is one very desirable outcome from training. If a circuit helps that better than a long out and back, so much the better.

Gung-ho balls out isn't the point and let's face it, you don't need a corner to drop someone, a bit of breeze or a gradient work just as well.

Finally, not saying it's right or wrong, but local clubs who do a chain gang ride use a short circuit.

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
04 Apr 2013 18:23 - 04 Apr 2013 18:34 #40 by GarethS
Replied by GarethS on topic Re: Chain Gang
Richard, thanks for the positive and encouraging point of view but I wouldn't say I was having an "off night" but rather I am the weakest link. On a good night (i.e. not fighting a 15mph northerly) I'm afraid I wouldn't have been able to hold your wheel at the pace you were going.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2013 18:34 by GarethS.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 Apr 2013 19:14 #41 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Chain Gang

Yesterday we had 5 riders out, would have been 6, but one had a mechanical on the way out, and I had one on the 3rd circuit.

We started off as 3, two more joined at various stages. One rider was clearly having an off night compared to the rest of us and was dropped quickly. Otherwise the rest of us were all of fairly equal ability and I think (mechanicals aside) would have kept together and shared the work well (one remark I hear from the B645 run is that it is often one rider dragging the rest along). As far as I'm concerned, getting people to ride as a disciplined group is one very desirable outcome from training. If a circuit helps that better than a long out and back, so much the better.

Gung-ho balls out isn't the point and let's face it, you don't need a corner to drop someone, a bit of breeze or a gradient work just as well.

Finally, not saying it's right or wrong, but local clubs who do a chain gang ride use a short circuit.

Hi RO last word from me,, so you all kept together and rode at a sensible fast pace so all the 5 of you achieved what you set out to do.? Geoff.......... :kiss: .... :evil:

• Di2vid Lindsay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • kit whore
More
04 Apr 2013 21:57 #42 by Di2vid Lindsay
Replied by Di2vid Lindsay on topic Re: Chain Gang

Richard, thanks for the positive and encouraging point of view but I wouldn't say I was having an "off night" but rather I am the weakest link. On a good night (i.e. not fighting a 15mph northerly) I'm afraid I wouldn't have been able to hold your wheel at the pace you were going.

You were there, that is what counts!

I like shiny things

• Di2vid Lindsay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • kit whore
More
04 Apr 2013 21:57 #43 by Di2vid Lindsay
Replied by Di2vid Lindsay on topic Re: Chain Gang
I like the look of this training setup, hope to come next week.

I like shiny things

• Chrisbpr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • What's the worst that can happen ?
More
04 Apr 2013 23:20 #44 by Chrisbpr
Replied by Chrisbpr on topic Re: Chain Gang
Ditto....sounds like good training.

More
05 Apr 2013 07:44 #45 by Muchee
Replied by Muchee on topic Re: Chain Gang
I'm in, see you next week!

More
10 Apr 2013 06:18 #46 by Martin Taylor
Replied by Martin Taylor on topic Re: Chain Gang
Hi

Is anyone out tonight, if so what time to meet and where

More
10 Apr 2013 10:12 #47 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Re: Chain Gang
I will be out - but not until 7.30ish

Either meet at the start of the circuit route early, or just start a lap and join up with others on a flying lap.

More
10 Apr 2013 11:52 #48 by tdpennell
Replied by tdpennell on topic Re: Chain Gang
Hi Martin,
I think a there might be half a dozen of us tonight, at a guess. I will be at the Bushmead crossroads at about 7pm with Mark Bottomley - we are doing a brick session so will be dipping in and out of the chaingang on various different laps. If you aim to be there for about 6.45 you should be fine.
See you later.

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds
Go to top