You are not logged in.

× Racing
Let's discuss everything to do with time trials (club events and open events), road races, triathlon and duathlon, cyclocross, mountain bike races - starting times, problems on the course, entries, experiences etc

'The Bushmead Sprint'

• Mark Colmer
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
01 May 2012 00:22 #1 by Mark Colmer
'The Bushmead Sprint' was created by Mark Colmer
As you may (or not) be aware, we have a lot of silver ware.
It has been proposed that we should have a trophy for 'The Bushmead Sprint'.
Now this could be an individual event or a two up.
Any thoughts?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2012 13:01 #2 by gaddy
Replied by gaddy on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
like it, how about 3or4 man groups team pursuit style! that way i can just sit on the back

More
01 May 2012 16:44 #3 by Wayne_Tunnah
Replied by Wayne_Tunnah on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
I like jason's idea there, but have we got enough members and how to split the teams fairly?? I would love to see just a full race with everyone there and can do it on a points for placement across the summer.

Guess though there could be insurance complications and it being a risk assessed, or submitted to BC?

• rostlr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Road Race Sec
More
01 May 2012 21:38 #4 by rostlr
Replied by rostlr on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
Gents, sorry but I'm going to have to stamp on this one a little for now. Wayne has hit the nail on the head. If we are going to hand out silver ware then in my opinion that makes it an official club event.

Either keep it as a bit of fun or we try to make it a TT event. If we do the later, then yes, it will need risk assessing, then submitting to CTT for approval and a course code. We would then be covered for insurance.

So sorry to be a bit of killjoy, but if we are proposing racing on the open road, we've got to follow the correct procedures. I'm certainly not opposed to it, but perhaps save it for the AGM?

btw why has this gone into the Sportive section?

• Mark Colmer
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
02 May 2012 07:10 #5 by Mark Colmer
Replied by Mark Colmer on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
Understood but worth discussing.
I think we need to have another look at the forum topics and have a tidy up.

More
02 May 2012 21:30 #6 by alec
Replied by alec on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
Have moved this topic to the TT forum

Senior Shouting Officer

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
03 May 2012 17:06 #7 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
hi there like i said before,, this sprint (sic) is for the 2nd group of i presume "beginners", just what is the idea behind it,,, ok alec,, "no hopers / beginners" love to have a bit of FUN, but come on..group 2 is for future members of the club,, the GR2 hero's should ride with Justin and the real MEN in group 1..... oh dear here i go again,,, G

More
03 May 2012 21:21 #8 by Saddened
Replied by Saddened on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
What a dismaying post, which sums up all that is wrong with cycling clubs. If the patronising (and frankly offensive) attitude displayed by Mr Smith is a general indicator of the personal qualities needed to be a member of your club, then I fear that there may not be a rush to join your ranks.

I came across your site half by accident and half by design whilst looking for a club to join since moving to the area. I am sure that Mr Smith is a first rate cyclist with a wealth of experience to pass on to the no hopers but he should be reminded that his comments are a very poor advert for your club and are unlikely to attract new talent (whether beginners or ex cat 1 looking for a "bit of fun").

As Gary Lineker famously mouthed: "Have a word!".

• Di2vid Lindsay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • kit whore
More
03 May 2012 22:09 #9 by Di2vid Lindsay
Replied by Di2vid Lindsay on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
Sometimes forum chatter should be taken with a pinch of salt.

The Bushmead sprint is always been a great end to a club run and enjoyed by almost everyone. Having this as a standardised thing in my view isn't a bad idea.

Opinions are owned by an individual and not always the views of other people.

I like shiny things

• Di2vid Lindsay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • kit whore
More
03 May 2012 22:10 #10 by Di2vid Lindsay
Replied by Di2vid Lindsay on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
PS. Sadenned - I really doubt you'd feel that if you came for a ride with us all. At least I'd hope not

I like shiny things

More
04 May 2012 00:28 #11 by alec
Replied by alec on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
I think that Geoff is being a little misunderstood as I am sure that some of what he says is tongue in cheek. He, like all the other strong riders in the club, do a brilliant job of looking out for the rest of us. We have a wide range of abilities in the club as the TT results show, but the thing that ties this club together is a passion for road cycling whatever our age or ability. The reality is that the club is growing very quickly precisely because we are welcoming and supporting of new members, whatever their experience and ability is. To "Saddened" - if you come on one of our club runs I'd hope you'd experience this. Why not give it a go?

Senior Shouting Officer

• rostlr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Road Race Sec
More
04 May 2012 09:47 #12 by rostlr
Replied by rostlr on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
I would echo the comments made by Alec and David.

To Geoff I would say, whilst we have guys who race, as a club we do not focus solely on racing. Many of our members come out to train for non-competitive sportive / charity events, others just like a social ride with like-minded folk. People ride for different reasons, and I hope the club membership reflects this. However, just because they don't all train hard for racing doesn't mean they are not entitled to a bit of "race" fun. The "Bushmead Sprint" is just that, a fast, quiet stretch of road on the run in back to St Neots where all riders can really work up a bit of speed - it isn't serious competition, just a bit of fun.

Still stick two blokes on a bikes and sooner or later they'll want to know who can go the fastest. As much as we would like to challenge the clubs stronger riders like Justin or Richard H on the club TT's we know that isn't realistic. However, that has never stopped competition between riders of similar abilities. Recognising the fact some ride stronger than others is also the reason behind handicapped club events - to create a more level playing field on which we can all compete reasonably equally.

Finally the 2nd group is not for aspiring members, but for members who don't want to ride the fast groups pace and distances. In time I hope we have enough riders for a 3rd group.

Saddened, I hope we can encourage you to come out for a club ride with us one Sunday morning. I think you'll find we're really quite a welcoming and friendly bunch. We have around 40 members, many of them new over the past 2 years. We are a growing and increasingly active club and we would welcome your contribution.

Richard,
Club Chairman

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds
Go to top