You are not logged in.

× Racing
Let's discuss everything to do with time trials (club events and open events), road races, triathlon and duathlon, cyclocross, mountain bike races - starting times, problems on the course, entries, experiences etc

'The Bushmead Sprint'

More
04 May 2012 14:19 #13 by crash
Replied by crash on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
Dear All, especially saddened,

As a relatively newcomer to the club 6months or so, i must admit I was a bit put off over the winter by a blog, which whilst written with good intent came across elitest and extremely contracending to us Group twoers who battle along at alarming heart rates producing limited speed outputs, but where else do we start! The Blogger has since unreservedly publically appologised which we all accept , and, I must admit does contribute some good and interesting race reports to the site ,thankyou.

Having gotten over this blog ! I must say that , the club and its members are a great spread of character but underlying every member that i have come across is helpful and supportive, and whilst the competetive element is there throughout the club at all levels nobody is forgotten at the end of a club ride. If you are thinking of joining a club I would certainly recommend joining St Neots

See you all Sunday

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
04 May 2012 15:57 #14 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
hi there well blow me down wiv a fever,,, i must have got it wrong, easy for me,,a noted "BIG MOUTH",but i did think the group 2 was to cater for newbies/oldies/ men/women and any old bod who wanted to start riding the bike again with a club...as they improved a move up to the BIG MANS GROUP..WRONG.. must pay more attention,,, oh saddened,, i am SAD,, please please turn up on sunday. meet the guys, sit in the back and when that really fit looking guy called justin takes off,, jump on his wheel,, let him blow himself to bits on the front, wait until you see the st neots sign, wait, wait, and then with 100 mtrs to go,, BLAST HIM its so easy................G

More
06 May 2012 07:44 #15 by Justin
Replied by Justin on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
'The Bushmead Sprint' is training.

If we want to give out silverware it has to be for an official event. We can make an event of it but it has to be done properly with the correct rules, affiliations, insurances, etc in place. Not to protect the participants but other road users.

Trophies are presented to recognise either success or improvement.

So how about

Club BAR - fastest time in season for combined time of 10, 25 and/or 50 in open events
25 Trophy - fastest time in season for 25
10 Trophy - fastest time in season for 10
Road Race Champion - most from BC events

Point is we don't need to invent events to give trophies we just need to give people a reason to go racing, compete and be successful or go and improve.

More
06 May 2012 17:14 #16 by rooster
Replied by rooster on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
Personally i agree with justin on that one, turning what is a bit of fun/trianing sprint into a silverware event is probably a bit dodgey on open traffic used roads .

I think the club bar is an excellent idea and would perhaps encourage people to tackle events they wouldnt normally consider, like a 50 !! I think a 10 and 25 trophy already exists ?? alec ?
as ive seen the 25 trophy and it goes back to the 1930s on it !

The road race idea is another good one though i dont know anything about that personally.

More
07 May 2012 00:08 #17 by alec
Replied by alec on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
+1 to Justin and Richard H.

As they and Richard O have pointed out we can't give out silverware unless we run an event under formal conditions. As I remember it from years ago, we had the Ashman (two laps of the TT circuit) and a handicap competition based on the Thursday TTs. In addition, we had trophies for open TTs for all the distances from 10 to 100 (10, 25,50 and 100 - and maybe 30 too) as well as a BAR based on, IIRC, 10, 25 and 50. In fact I think we had a 12 hour trophy too, because I remember someone winning it one year with a rather measly 180 miles because it was the only 12 ridden by a club member that year. There were also probably one or more women specific trophies but I'm not sure about that as there was only one woman actively riding with the club back then.

I think we should start awarding some of the collection of cups we have. Why don't we review all the trophies we have as a club and decide what events we'll recognise. We don't have to stick to what we did in the past - eg we could award something for road racing as Justin suggests as well as TTs. It's a pity to keep our trophies in a cupboard gathering dust. Plus we need some awards for the annual dinner - which is a topic for a different thread.

Senior Shouting Officer

• rostlr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Road Race Sec
More
07 May 2012 08:55 #18 by rostlr
Replied by rostlr on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
The Ashman is still going. It is for a handicapped race, so everyone in the club has an equal chance at winning. Alistair has the full list of trophies, but yes there is a 12 hour and I think a 24 hour one. So if you want a very good chance of winning a BAR trophy start stockpiling the amphetamines proplus and enter a 12/24 hour TT!

BAR for road racing based on BC points awarded is a good idea. I agree with Justin though, we should use the trophies we have to encourage people to enter races.

However, not everyone is going to race, so perhaps we should create some new trophies to reflect the clubs wider membership and members activities. For example, top sportive rider (i.e you tot-up either climbs/miles from sportives entered and who ever gets the most wins). Top charity fund raiser, obviously this will be for money raised for charity cycle events rather than, for example, sponsored runs and tea mornings. Club Hero - goes to who ever does the most mental thing on a bike during the year, for example riding a solo, unsupported JoGLE.

More
12 May 2012 08:53 #19 by Andrew Kinglake
Replied by Andrew Kinglake on topic Re: 'The Bushmead Sprint'
Whilst the Bushmead sprint can not be formalised at this time, there is the potential of using gps uploads to strava so individual members can test themselves. Happy to lend my garmin to people for this purpose.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds
Go to top