× General Club Chat

The place for general chat about St Neots Cycling Club

Physiotherapy Recommendation

• MikeB
  • Topic Author
More
18 May 2015 09:17 #1 by MikeB
Physiotherapy Recommendation was created by MikeB
I've developed an issue with my left leg that needs sorting and hoped that someone could recommend a good local professional who can help.

I get a minor nagging pain behind my left knee every time I cycle and stupidly I've ignored it as it's only a minor discomfort. Last week a little while after a 30-mile ride I noticed my ankle was very stiff and it still is following a few days off the bike. I thought this was strange, as I don't recall any ankle issues while I was cycling (just the usual knee niggle) or any other time. I suspect the knee issue I ignored has now referred to my ankle.

My thoughts are that it's probably related to bike setup (saddle height or cleat position). I've experimented with changing the saddle height but find it difficult to get right as my legs aren't quite the same length. I use SPDs and have them set pretty lose. The reason for this is that I've had my share of knee problems over the years and didn't want to be locked into the wrong position. My thoughts were that setting the cleats on their loosest setting would provide a positive connection but allow my feet to find their natural position. Someone will probably tell me that this isn't the right way to do it - and maybe the cause of my current issues!

I've used the Parks physios over the years and they're OK, but the physio I used there most recently is no longer with them so I'd be starting from scratch again. I also see Mark Horrell at St Neots Chiropractic Clinic every 6 months or so for an "MOT" to sort out any back and neck issues. He's excellent, but I suspect this is more physio territory.

So I suppose I'm looking for a physio who understands bike setup or a bike fit person with medical training. Any recommendations?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2015 09:42 #2 by Bott
Replied by Bott on topic Re: Physiotherapy Recommendation
There is a decent physio in Bedford that cycles himself. Phil Duffel on Goldington road at the Therapy Centre -

www.thetherapycentre.co.uk/

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
18 May 2015 10:39 #3 by GarethS
Replied by GarethS on topic Re: Physiotherapy Recommendation
Mike, Retul fitters do a flexibility/physio-type assessment on you as part of the process, actually forms part of their training by Retul. I've got slightly different leg lengths (literally a matter of mm that can only be picked up on the bike and have a shim between one cleat and shoe).

Also might be worth looking at an osteopath rather than physio or chiropractor. I've been seeing a number of different osteopaths at Holistic Hands near Kimbolton since I put my collarbone in three pieces and regular maintenance visits there along with Foundation Training have improved mobility in the shoulder and general flexibility (improvement picked up as part of my last bike fit)

More
18 May 2015 13:33 #4 by Simon.R
Replied by Simon.R on topic Re: Physiotherapy Recommendation
just to echo G's comments above, the Retul lasers diagnosed a twist in my body that could (hopefully) be addressed by tweaking my bike set-ups rather than trying to 'untwist' me; don't know about you but I'm always keener for the hard work to be done by someone / thing else if at all possible!

• MikeB
  • Topic Author
More
18 May 2015 14:00 #5 by MikeB
Replied by MikeB on topic Re: Physiotherapy Recommendation
Thanks Gareth & Simon for your comments.

The Retul option sounds worth pursuing. Who's the nearest / best provider?

• MikeB
  • Topic Author
More
18 May 2015 14:05 #6 by MikeB
Thanks "Bott" for your comments also - I didn't intend to omit you from my previous post!

More
18 May 2015 14:46 #7 by Simon.R
Replied by Simon.R on topic Re: Physiotherapy Recommendation
seems there a plenty to choose from www.retul.com/find-a-fitter/#/United%20Kingdom - as well as a thorough physical test with stretches, balances, resistance exercises etc, the use of lasers allows for 3D motion capture to see how your body moves as you pedal at different speeds / power levels.

I went to Nick Smith at Core Cycling www.corecyclingsolutions.com/ This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 01778 382761 / 07912 065481 and would have no problem recommending him - a nice guy, and as a CX racer he knows a thing or two about dealing with 'injuries' as well as 'long term conditions'

good luck

More
18 May 2015 18:48 #8 by garyn
Replied by garyn on topic Re: Physiotherapy Recommendation
I've used the guy in Hertford

www.fit-me-up.com

I'd recommend him.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
18 May 2015 19:22 #9 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Physiotherapy Recommendation
Hi Mike...before you spend lots of ££, why not go back to basics and set up your position like they always did.( not all that stupid ).Its 3 points which you must do, and then tweek them after you have ridden the bike for a week or so.

if you want email me and i will give you the set up procedure.

see ya G

• MikeB
  • Topic Author
More
18 May 2015 20:25 #10 by MikeB
Thanks for all the useful advice chaps.

Geoff, I haven't got your email address, but please send your setup tips to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 May 2015 09:21 #11 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Physiotherapy Recommendation
Ok will do G

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member