You are not logged in.

× Rides
Let's discuss everything to with rides: club runs, sportives (not SNCC sportive), audaxes, impromptu rides - routes, who's going to ride, ride experiences and so on

Introductory ride

More
10 Mar 2013 22:07 #13 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Re: Introductory ride
There was (perhaps unsurprisingly) only 7 in gp 2 today and it was a pretty hard slog for the 40 miles we did. But I think therein lies the beauty of riding in a group. We stuck together for all of it bar the last couple of miles dragging each other round and from memory, while we did get strung out past kimbolton, we worked as 2 pairs and a 3 to get back. No one got left behind on their own :-) . Would have I done 40 miles in this mornings weather on my own? Nope! I reckon I'm not alone there either...

Tony.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Mar 2013 08:55 #14 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Re: Introductory ride
Geoff, None of the groups intend to leave anyone behind, but as the club grows so does the mix of abilities and also what people are after from a ride. Hence an intro ride and ultimately a group 3.

I am sure that your comments are only meant as encouraging, but you can very often be taken as otherwise.

Pushing anyone into group 2 before they are happy and ready doesn't help anyone, the new rider can be disheartened and as much as we won't leave anyone behind its hard holding the group back week in week out, and ultimately puts off existing group 2 riders, hence, group 3 and intro ride.

Perhaps sometimes you need to choose your words a little more carfuly

More
11 Mar 2013 10:34 #15 by adrianotaverna
Replied by adrianotaverna on topic Re: Introductory ride
I think Geoff has it spot on. 1 person with bike is a ride 2 people with bikes is a race. It is human nature. I think we have strong riders but they lack etiquette in keeping a group together at an average speed through out the ride and thus ends up in a near on bar brawl to be shot out through the back. It is not for good training or for improving skills but that's the way it has always been until people knock it back it will remain the same and it will only put people off.

• Chrisbpr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • What's the worst that can happen ?
More
11 Mar 2013 10:53 #16 by Chrisbpr
Replied by Chrisbpr on topic Re: Introductory ride
A comment was made the other week that we where too "steady " at around 16.5 mph.

This is bang on the money for G2 on a winter pace and if people need a faster training ride then they should be trying out G1 rides and not trying to ramp up G2 too much, after all that's how we advertise it on the site.

If you look at others clubs sites they state that the pace which they ride at is based on favourable conditions which to be fair we have had not much of recently.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Mar 2013 13:32 #17 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Introductory ride

Geoff, None of the groups intend to leave anyone behind, but as the club grows so does the mix of abilities and also what people are after from a ride. Hence an intro ride and ultimately a group 3.

I am sure that your comments are only meant as encouraging, but you can very often be taken as otherwise.

Pushing anyone into group 2 before they are happy and ready doesn't help anyone, the new rider can be disheartened and as much as we won't leave anyone behind its hard holding the group back week in week out, and ultimately puts off existing group 2 riders, hence, group 3 and intro ride.

Perhaps sometimes you need to choose your words a little more carfuly

hi there Ruth so there IS a group 3 then AND a intro ride,MMMMMMMMMM,,,just a small point carfuly should read carefully..not nit picking..but what do i know..G... :evil: :evil:

More
11 Mar 2013 13:56 - 11 Mar 2013 13:56 #18 by alec
Replied by alec on topic Re: Introductory ride
I think that this is an excellent discussion for us to have. The club has grown rapidly and, inevitably, we are feeling our way to manage these club runs so that they are inclusive, but also stretching for riders across a wide range of abilities. Don't forget that less than 18 months ago we had only one club run group in which we had to accomodate everyone who turned up. So we are having to learn rapidly and I think public discussion about this can only help people understand and be aware of what we are trying to do and what the difficulties are.

Group 1: Was originally the club run group that everyone fitted into and we did 50 milers in winter and 60 - 70 milers in summer at 18 - 20mph. Now it has become the group for the stronger riders who are riding at near evens although its winter which makes it too hard for some of the original members to keep up. Also would expect to rip it up sometimes.

Group 2 - was set up to increase participation and membership and wow has it worked. Was originally meant to be quite a steady group - I led the first Group 2 ride and we averaged 15mph over 40 miles with a cafe stop. Since then Group 2 has become much wider in ability ranging from the original target ability to those who are almost but not quite up to Group 1. Hence RO's idea to set up a Group 3 which would split Group 2 and his call for people to lead it. If that happens Group 2 would do longer rides in summer and aim at 18mph plus and occasionally get a bit feisty, especially on the home leg. It's good to usually ride in a disciplined way at the pace of the group - but an occasional burn-up is fun and exhilirating. I take Geoff's point about the last report - on the other hand, although I wasn't there it does sound as though people enjoyed themselves.

Group 3 - would be targeted at a standard about equivalent to the very first few Group 2 rides: 15 - 17 mph for 40.

Introductory rides: Should be kept to 13 - 15mph for no more than 25 miles.

Now then: We should encourage people to pick the right ride for them - something that is within their ability but will stretch them. In doing that people will have to move between the groups as their ability changes and occasionally will make the wrong choice and we should be tolerant about that. To take my example - I am between Groups 1 and 2 - currently Group 2 but later in the year I would expect to ride in Group 1 and I have to make the judgement when the right time for that will be. Others will be always Group 1. What we really have to discourage is people riding in a group below the level they should be at and breaking up that group or a group way above and not being able to hang on on the flat and being a drag. And, yes, averages depend on conditions.

Also we must remember that people who lead a group below their ability are making a sacrifice for the good of the club as they are not going to get the training they would usually get.

Senior Shouting Officer
Last edit: 11 Mar 2013 13:56 by alec.

More
11 Mar 2013 14:06 #19 by adrianotaverna
I don't think people should tell people how to chose words. We live in a democratic world. As long it as it is a valid view and is not rude then go for it you don't have to agree.

More
11 Mar 2013 14:15 #20 by adrianotaverna
Alec what a load of twaddle. Group captains should lead by example. Not demoralise people .keep the group together and work together club runs are not training camps for racing you race at races. Having asked the group to slow down 3 times yesterday fell on deaf ears. Simply disrespectful in my eyes. Egotistic at best.

More
11 Mar 2013 14:26 #21 by alec

Group captains should lead by example. Not demoralise people .keep the group together and work together

Well I agree with that and don't really see where I said anything different.

Senior Shouting Officer

More
11 Mar 2013 14:34 #22 by alec

Having asked the group to slow down 3 times yesterday fell on deaf ears. Simply disrespectful in my eyes. Egotistic at best.

Are we talking Group 1 here? Sounds like the G1 riders should have a chat amongst themselves before they set off. We've always said G1 can look after itself.

Senior Shouting Officer

• JudeDudd
  • Topic Author
More
11 Mar 2013 15:02 #23 by JudeDudd
Replied by JudeDudd on topic Re: Introductory ride
I feel that I have opened a can of worms here, but seeing as I have I hope you don't mind me giving my opinion!

I contacted the club a while ago as I work locally for British Cyclings Breeze network, encouraging more women to get into cycling. I lead rides approx three times a month for women new to cycling(purely becuase I love cycling and want others to feel the same) but as my rides are for complete novices, 10-15 miles, I wanted to know if you ran anything for these women to feed into once they are ready. I have since come alomg to an introductory ride myself, which was great, and I was made to feel very welcome, but I am a little baffled as to why your are offering intro rides at under 25 miles, 13-15 miles an hour, when you dont have anything for these riders to feed into! Whilst I can manage 40 miles I will not do so at 17mph and surely this is a little ambitous for most riders new to a club? You only have 4/77 female members I believe, but I think its a shame as last week there sere several comments about how nice it was to see more women at the club. And its not only women that would benefit from a slightly slower pace, there were plenty of men behind me on the hills!

As a suggestion, why not start the G2/3 ride jointly and let it take a natural split after the first few miles? As long as everyone knows this will happen riders can then fall into whichever speed group suits them best for that date/those conditions, everyone rides the same 40 mile route and everyones in a group they're happy they can cope with?

Anyone who gives their time to do anything for anyone else should be be commended as it can feel like a rewardless task sometimes so well done to all of you who spend your time organising these rides!

Judy

More
11 Mar 2013 15:23 - 11 Mar 2013 15:24 #24 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Re: Introductory ride
Hi Judy

Yes this is how we hope the G2/3 split will occur naturally, but as you say it needs to happen early ie 2-3 miles other wise the G3 riders will have been hanging onto the G2 riders for too long at too fast a speed for them.
Then also if the 2 groups are on the same route, if anyone is struggling in G2 they know they can fall off the back and G3 will be along shortly.
It is always going to be a bit of a juggling act which hopefully people will take into consideration

We do need to make sure the routes are set in stone for this to work, as sometimes we can get a bit lost :cheer:
Last edit: 11 Mar 2013 15:24 by Ruth. Reason: addition

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds
Go to top