You are not logged in.

× Rides
Let's discuss everything to with rides: club runs, sportives (not SNCC sportive), audaxes, impromptu rides - routes, who's going to ride, ride experiences and so on

Introductory ride

More
11 Mar 2013 15:54 #25 by scrodley
Replied by scrodley on topic Re: Introductory ride
I wonder if we are all getting a little hung up on Group names? Group 1; Group 2; Group 2.1; Group 2.2; Group 2a; Group 2b; Group 3 etc, etc.....when will it ever end?

Where we need to focus attention is, I think, on group size and ensuring that those of similar ability ride together.

By way of background, I was on the club run which Geoff mentioned earlier in this thread and, in my opinion, Group 2 was too large, with over 20 riders comprised of a very wide range of abilities. This meant that the group got very strung out at times, especially after junctions and caused the group to lose shape, as well as probably annoying a few motorists into the bargain. There was a natural split in the group at Chapel Hill when some obviously well hydrated members (ahem!) required a comfort break at which point I, along with a couple of others, saw this as an opportunity to drop back and join the ranks of the relieved, to form a separate group. One of the main reasons for doing this was that I recognised that this was going to be a smaller group of riders, all of whom were of similar ability and I think I can speak for all in that group when I say it was one of the best group rides I have had in months. We all worked together, maintained group form and etiquette and ultimately rode home as a unit, as well as being less of a nuisance to other road users. That we did so at an ave speed of 19 mph is, quite frankly immaterial. What was important was that we all got something good out of riding together.

I wonder if an alternative way of addressing the Groups conundrum might be to look at it in a different way. Rather than being bound by G1, G2, G3 etc, what about looking at simply publishing 3 routes each week and then people can then select the distance they want and simply ride the route with other members of similar ability (possibly in smaller groups).
E.g.
Route One of about 55-70 miles
Route Two of about 40 - 55 miles
Route Three of about 20 - 35 miles

No doubt there would be the usual suspects in the current Group 1 but it would allow those who don't quite have the legs to develop into stronger riders so that they can progress through the routes and ultimately ride with our strongest riders. As an aside, I would welcome the chance to do 60+ mile rides but I am simply not fast enough for Group 1 at the moment.....and this means that the step up is getting increasingly hard because G1 riders have more miles in the legs at far stronger pace already....and it's only March!

This may seem a slightly heretical way of thinking to some but it is clear we need to do something to ensure that all in the club get the most out of group riding and become better riders. One added advantage of increased numbers of smaller groups on the road is that if someone is having a bad day, they can simply drop off their current group and wait to be picked up by a slightly slower group behind.

I think I've said enough at the moment but I think you can see the general thrust of my idea.

Yours, (ready and waiting to be shot down in flames)
Steve R

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Mar 2013 17:10 #26 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Introductory ride
Hi there SR wish i could write like that..sums it up.see ya soon group 1 i hope, but you never know,,G

More
11 Mar 2013 18:28 #27 by Tardus
Replied by Tardus on topic Re: Introductory ride
There is certainly a strong case for a regular "Group 3". Currently we have a monthly Introductory Ride which is brilliant for new riders. But many of them want something more regular and they need that if they are ever to reach even Group 2. Even the IR at 20/25 miles is a big step up in distance for many who have only ever done perhaps 10-15 miles in one go. The average speed of the last IR was 12.2 mph so still a big jump to GP2. I still struggle to achieve Group 2 pace and I know how demoralising it is to be regularly dropped - and whilst the guys are fantastic at ensuring you are never left behind I continue to feel guilty that I am probably spoiling their ride. Whilst I aspire to regularly ride GP2, I would rather be comfortable and enjoy an achievable pace than continually struggle. If we are to encourage new members who have little experience and take their subs ; we need to provide the same equivalent opportunities to ride regularly as afforded to a Group 1/2/TT/race/Tri member. I appreciate that we need volunteers to help lead/plan each Group and I am willing to put myself forward for GP 3 if that is of interest - not wishing to tread on Ruth's toes of course.

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
11 Mar 2013 18:39 #28 by GarethS
Replied by GarethS on topic Re: Introductory ride
Steve R, (now that I'm home at last) some good thoughts there and heartily agree with your premise. Especially the fact that the group 1 guys appear as strong as they are in March will the gap just keep opening until no-one can get on to that pace from the "top end" of current group 2?

I also know of a few people who want to ride group 2 pace but possibly can't set aside the time every Sunday to do a full 40-50 mile ride. Similarly I seem to remember a discussion about sprint triathlon people wanting to group ride but distance being too long (though pace fine), maybe I am going mad on this one though and it's the voices in my head.

Tardus, I'm sure that Ruth would be glad of any help on the intro rides other than that mouthy sod in red, and there are a few people who have said that if a group three starts to form organically they would consider dropping back one week every so often to help lead them.

I'd offer my route planning services but last time I plotted something following an "oh maybe we should go out that way" on the forums it ended up being 60+ miles in Garmin Connect and I couldn't find a way to shorten it without it being almost as point to point as the chain gang.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
11 Mar 2013 19:00 #29 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Introductory ride
I'd offer my route planning services but last time I plotted something following an "oh maybe we should go out that way" on the forums it ended up being 60+ miles in Garmin Connect and I couldn't find a way to shorten it without it being almost as point to point as the chain gang.
Hi GS buy a map.!!! G

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
11 Mar 2013 19:02 #30 by GarethS
Replied by GarethS on topic Re: Introductory ride
I would still come up long on a map as I'd plot the same route ... :evil: Maps on the internet have the same roads as paper maps, though can't argue with Richard's assertion about OS maps and contour lines the other day.

More
11 Mar 2013 22:29 #31 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Re: Introductory ride
Tardus, sounds great :-) there was quite a bit of interest on this months intro ride for a group 3 so I'm sure if you post something you will have takers to join you.
You will certainly not be treading on anyone's toes :-)

• rostlr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Road Race Sec
More
11 Mar 2013 22:53 #32 by rostlr
Replied by rostlr on topic Re: Introductory ride
wow, this threads exploded a bit!

I think there are a couple of issues here.

First, what is the purpose of the introductory rides? We know there are a people out there who see the distances and speeds of our rides and are nervous of just turning up as the newbie to a normal club run. So, with intro rides we hope to provide a more comfortable environment for people to see what the club is about. If you are finding the intro rides hard though, I'm afraid to say you are going to find the club doesn't have much to offer you.

Which brings me to the second issue, speed and distances. We would like to be as inclusive as possible, but there are limits. Ultimately you must be at a level of fitness that means you can cover the distances we ride and at the speeds we ride them. I would like to see the intro rides naturally lead to a weekly group 3 ride. As mentioned on previous posts, about 40miles at around 15mph. If someone turns up having never done more than 10miles, then I'm sorry but, no one likely to want to stay behind and coach you up to faster and longer rides. However, if someone wants to turn up, ride a few miles with us and steadily build up their distance, no one is going to object

At the moment I don't see the club offering a shorter weekly distance. There are two reasons why. First, the people who have been leading ride are not interested in riding those distances - for many the Sunday ride is their one big ride of the week and they want to make the most of it. Remember no one is paid to lead a group, it is all voluntary. Secondly, St Neots already has a group, led by the local Sustrans rangers, who cater for slower paced and shorter rides. However, if you do think the club should be offering more regular (than the monthly intro rides) short rides, then the only way it will happen is if you step forward and take the lead. I'll support you. Likewise, at the other end of the spectrum, if you want to go further than group 1, organise it, see if others want to join you, but don't replace group 1, because not everyone will.

The club can only offer so much, and that depends on how much people are prepared to put themselves forward. However, I hope that the club does provide an environment where members can organise their own rides.

Finally I've had a couple of people willing to lead a group 3, but we could do with a couple more. So, hopefully we'll soon have a regular group 3.

• JudeDudd
  • Topic Author
More
11 Mar 2013 22:55 #33 by JudeDudd
Replied by JudeDudd on topic Re: Introductory ride
Be very careful though as when I said......[quote="JudeDudd" post=2303]I really enjoyed the introductory ride Sunday and would like something a little more challenging but I'm not sure I'm ready for group 2 yet! There was a lot of talk about a possible 3rd group, is anyone else keen to do 30-35 miles? We have a group of two so far![/quote].......look what it started!!!

Im not about the next two weekends but if there's enough interest will be there the last weekend of the month.

More
12 Mar 2013 08:24 #34 by Simon.R
Replied by Simon.R on topic Re: Introductory ride
having enjoyed the last intro ride but felt there was a bit more in my legs I'm hoping to give GP2 a try this weekend, but would obviously see a GP3 as a more natural progression if available.

More
18 Mar 2013 22:06 #35 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Re: Introductory ride
*This is only an observation and clearly, I'm not the voice of experience. I'm only saying based on what I've seen since I've been coming out and it's just my opinion. There no criticism of anyone intended nor should any be taken as such*

Following on from this week's gp2 ride (and taking the thread further OT, sorry!), it seems that a third group is already forming naturally anyway when we have a larger group. There was a wide range of abilities on Sunday and the faster riders were stretching the group out so it was inevitable there would be a split at some point. To me that makes perfect sense.
What was a slight concern I think was communication wasn't always being coming up/down the group prior to the split so a couple of the requests/warnings wasn't always coming through when we were a little strung out, especially given the state of the roads right now, I think that it's pretty important. Pothole central!

To me, if we're in the last couple of miles and people want to wind it up and go before the end then it's no issue. There's only so many roads in and out of St. Neots so you shouldn't get lost if you're dropped and even then, you won't be on your own.
Of course, if you're at the front of the group and you're told to ease up on Potton Road and then a certain member clatters past to take the town sign sprint, expect comments... Again, no names... :).

Tony.

• Chrisbpr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • What's the worst that can happen ?
More
19 Mar 2013 05:31 #36 by Chrisbpr
Replied by Chrisbpr on topic Re: Introductory ride
Yes, bang out of order.... Trev should be ashamed of himself ;)

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
Go to top