You are not logged in.

× Rides
Let's discuss everything to with rides: club runs, sportives (not SNCC sportive), audaxes, impromptu rides - routes, who's going to ride, ride experiences and so on

chain gangs

• billywizz
  • Topic Author
More
11 Oct 2012 16:21 #1 by billywizz
chain gangs was created by billywizz
Just out of interest ... how many of you guys get out on Wednesday evenings? In each group? Please?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• billywizz
  • Topic Author
More
15 Oct 2012 10:01 - 15 Oct 2012 10:05 #2 by billywizz
Replied by billywizz on topic Re: chain gangs
26 views and not one response! Thanks guys. BIG help ... not. 'Closed shop' ... bit 'cliquish' sort of club then?
Last edit: 15 Oct 2012 10:05 by billywizz.

More
15 Oct 2012 10:24 #3 by alec
Replied by alec on topic Re: chain gangs
Not at all - huge growth this year, lot's of new members, but we've been busy with organising a sportive and the hill climb. To answer the original question is that it varies very much from week to week - there is often some chat on the forum about who's turning up for the mid-week chain gang and everyone is welcome, as they are for the Sunday runs (and as guests at the TTs in the summer months). For the chain gang, some weeks there are only one or two, other weeks a few more. Hard to answer the OP precisely. You're welcome to any of these.

Senior Shouting Officer

• billywizz
  • Topic Author
More
15 Oct 2012 11:51 #4 by billywizz
Aha ... so there IS life out there :) Thanks Alec.
Will those runs continue through the winter months as that road can be a bit dangerous at the best of times? Any proposals (maybe) to do something similar round the Abbotsley circuit ... say 2 laps? Riders could join in at different points and there's a couple of short cuts if anyone gets dropped.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Oct 2012 12:43 #5 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: chain gangs
hi there how do you know that the road is dangerous at that time of night if you have not ridden in a group of riders,or so called chain gang..the route is "out and back" wide main road with really little traffic,, if it is too fast you just "drop off the back" poodle along until the group which i may add is very conspicuous (bright lights front and back ) are coming in the opposite direction.,do a SAFE turn in the road and ride with the guys back to St Neots...i would rather ride that road than take as you say "short cuts" in totally black country lanes...its all relative,, if you have the speed and stamina you can ride anywhere..its a matter of going out there and "havin a go"...G.. :evil:

More
15 Oct 2012 15:40 #6 by alec
Replied by alec on topic Re: chain gangs
To be fair, Billy hasn't said he's inexperienced at riding in a group - he could be faster than any of us for all we know. The chain gang riders do light themselves up like a christmas tree through the winter months.

Senior Shouting Officer

• billywizz
  • Topic Author
More
15 Oct 2012 16:25 #7 by billywizz
Are you a regular chain ganger then Geoffrey? If I turned up would you definitely be there to show me the ropes because I'd like to learn from someone who sounds so VERY experienced. You must do lots of miles.

More
15 Oct 2012 18:32 #8 by Tardus
Replied by Tardus on topic Re: chain gangs
Have a look at the May 2012 Club Newsletter - there is a detailed profile of Geoff there.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Oct 2012 18:49 #9 by geoffrey smith
hi there..i am saying nothing BUT it just may be a good idea to ask about beforw putting pen to paper, also see ......app.strava.com/segments/1831911......mmm i rest my case....oh by the way are you a club memeber...G.............. :evil:

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Oct 2012 18:51 #10 by geoffrey smith
You must do lots of miles...........sorry missed this bit...yes, i average over 16,000 kms a year, old money 10,000 miles.....and my legs do hurt...G... :evil:

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
15 Oct 2012 19:23 #11 by GarethS
Replied by GarethS on topic Re: chain gangs
As Geoff's link seems to have misbehaved www.strava.com/segments/st-neots-chain-gang-a1-to-a1-1831911

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Oct 2012 19:25 #12 by geoffrey smith
hi there GS............dam these new fangled fings..i was ok with my amstrad...G

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds
Go to top