You are not logged in.

× Rides
Let's discuss everything to with rides: club runs, sportives (not SNCC sportive), audaxes, impromptu rides - routes, who's going to ride, ride experiences and so on

chain gangs

• billywizz
  • Topic Author
More
15 Oct 2012 19:33 #13 by billywizz
Replied by billywizz on topic Re: chain gangs
Hi again :-) I've just taken a look at Geoff's (or yours ... if it's Geoff reading this) piece in the May Newsletter. Are you sure those pbs are right as they don't look very fast to me considering how long he's (you've) been cycling. I'd have thought he'd (you'd) have had ample opportunity to have gone much faster in all that time Having said that, the 24.2 mph av showing up on the Strava link does look pretty impressive. Was that done solo ... and on a bike (if so ... what sort of bike? Mudguards or not? Tri-bars or not?). Or was it done on one of the chain gangs? Or was it done in a car as I understand some of those Strava things are a bit 'iffy'?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2012 20:23 #14 by Wayne_Tunnah
Replied by Wayne_Tunnah on topic Re: chain gangs
Please come along and have a go. When the clocks change we move the time later as we no longer chase the light. If you start in the dark and finish in the dark it makes not much difference, but the road is quieter later as the rush hour traffic has passed. But like Alec has mentioned, numbers are really up and down, but I would enjoy having another take some of the pain!!

Don't mind Geoff, he's harmless. Our own devil in lycra and at 67 years young, I to hope to still be able to turn a gear he manages.......Maureen.....Get G off the comp!! Lol

• billywizz
  • Topic Author
More
15 Oct 2012 20:37 - 15 Oct 2012 20:38 #15 by billywizz
I used to be a St Neots member nearly 40 years ago and only 2 or 3 of us ever turned up for club runs. Would that be the same on the chain gangs now? Or do you get a few more?
Last edit: 15 Oct 2012 20:38 by billywizz.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 Oct 2012 20:51 #16 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: chain gangs
piss off

• billywizz
  • Topic Author
More
15 Oct 2012 20:55 #17 by billywizz
Pardon? I'm only making tentative enquiries as a friend of mine says he can do the Higham Ferrars - Eaton Socon stretch both ways at over 25 mph ... by himself. I just wanted to gauge how fast you guys are going before turning up and possibly making myself look silly.
Can someone answer my questions please?

More
15 Oct 2012 21:02 #18 by Wayne_Tunnah
Geoff is talking to me..... Love you x

In the winter its slower as there is more effort spent on other things, ie seeing, pot holes etc. Normally we do it in around 1.30, quickest I've been on is a 1.24 hope this helps. But the club has moved on a lot since you were last out with SNCC

• billywizz
  • Topic Author
More
15 Oct 2012 21:08 #19 by billywizz
Are you sure he's talking to you? I have found that cyclists in general aren't very friendly people and seem to 'blank' me when riding the other way.
Thanks for your response anyway Wayne ... I'm still not sure about Geoff though as he hasn't really been very helpful.

OK ... so the speed seems realistic. How many people do you get out? (Oh ... that seems to be the original question)

• Di2vid Lindsay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • kit whore
More
15 Oct 2012 21:16 #20 by Di2vid Lindsay
Replied by Di2vid Lindsay on topic Re: chain gangs

have found that cyclists in general aren't very friendly people and seem to 'blank' me when riding the other way.

I have not found that to be honest. Mind you I wave at everyone and everything. Even Geoff...

I like shiny things

More
15 Oct 2012 21:21 #21 by Wayne_Tunnah
G is in south of France atm so he won't be out. It's a tougher question to answer than you would think. A couple of times it has been two of us, but then its not a chain gang, just a ride on the out and back route or if both parties are happy do a different route. We have had up to 8 and when two groups have gone off we have had 5 in each. I work shift and other members do also, with equally.as important other commitments. I shan't be out this week due to work, but someone will be, so just turn up say hi and ride.

Oh and if I pass you, you will get a wave regards of what your riding, age or sex :)

More
15 Oct 2012 21:27 #22 by tdpennell
Replied by tdpennell on topic Re: chain gangs
Hi Billywiz,
I have just logged on to read this thread. During the winter months there tend to be a core of about 5 or so riders who turn up on a Wednesday evening for Group 1. Group 2 has just recently started so its hard to say what the numbers are for that.
We are not a cliquey club ,we are a friendly and welcoming club so please don't be put off by a certain member who is about as diplomatic as Gengis Khan.
I am planning on being out on Wednesday - and if you can maintain 23-25 mph avarage over 35 miles then I think we will all be hanging onto your back wheel.
Incidentally, when we are out with the club we always acknowledge other riders and say hi to them.
Tim.

Geoff - I love you man, but can't you at least try to be welcoming to (possible) new members. Very few people have your insight and understanding of what is or is not possible on a bike. I look forward to seeing you over xmas. Tim

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
15 Oct 2012 21:47 #23 by GarethS
Replied by GarethS on topic Re: chain gangs
Geoff, when you come back over I'll show you the quote function on the forums so you can direct your terms of endearment at Wayne (or me as the fancy takes you) :evil:

Billy, just as an example I got "collared" by our Treasurer while out on a training ride on my own, with an invite to come out the to Sunday group ride. He couldn't make the Sunday but I was made very welcome. The weekend after that Wayne was persuading me to join the chain gang, during the following week I joined. My fourth weekend "club ride" was our sportive a week before last. Out in a group we tend to greet walkers, runners, bikers, you name it.

In fact before Alistair accosted me I had been considering two other clubs locally and from memory one of them uses some of the roads to the west of St Neots and while I had seen them out as a group no-one made an effort to say hello let alone try and interest me in the club.

In fact this Wednesday (work allowing) I'm going to put my feet where my mouth is and roll out for the chain gang. Will I fall off the back? Quite likely as I am definitely group 2 material at this stage. Will it phase me? Unlikely. Ok so maybe I don't demoralise easily but I've gone from doing my own thing each week to last week cranking out 170km (105 miles) in a week (not including the sportive). Not massive figures compared to some but I'd probably still be muddling along doing 60 miles or so a week on my own if Alistair hadn't almost scared me into a hedge and for someone that was away from cycling for almost 16 years (I got back on the bike in earnest in 2010) I don't feel that's doing too bad.

Anyway, enough life story, we're a friendly bunch, just some of us have a quirky sense of humour.

More
15 Oct 2012 22:43 #24 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Re: chain gangs
Hi Billy, i'll be out this week so there will be a slow contingent, even if it is only me.

Don't mind Geoff, i'm assured he means well, and like they say he's in France :silly:

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds
Go to top