You are not logged in.

× Rides
Let's discuss everything to with rides: club runs, sportives (not SNCC sportive), audaxes, impromptu rides - routes, who's going to ride, ride experiences and so on

chain gangs

• billywizz
  • Topic Author
More
16 Oct 2012 19:07 - 16 Oct 2012 19:23 #37 by billywizz
Replied by billywizz on topic Re: chain gangs
"hi there well as you know. i do not lay down,,a few facts..since august last year there has been 7 posting APART from this one,(8 in all).. regarding the "CHAIN GANG",there has been 1270 punters having a look and there are 65 postings. 100% about the chaingang..plus the club site also adds the chain gang on its "whats on " program (top left hand column each week...i am a bit surprised that with all this info available.a simple question ie how many turn up,, has not been discussed plenty of times...still what do i know...G...."

I looked and couldn't find the answer ... which is why I asked the question. If it IS there ... can you point me in the right direction with a link please?
Last edit: 16 Oct 2012 19:23 by billywizz.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• rostlr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Road Race Sec
More
16 Oct 2012 19:51 #38 by rostlr
Replied by rostlr on topic Re: chain gangs
Whereas everyone knows if they turn up for the Sunday morning club run there will be people there, the same isn't true for the chain gang. There are a handful of people who do the chain gang, but the organisation is a bit ad hoc and it doesn't always happen - it really depends on the availability of a small core of riders. I think that in part explains why there is a fair bit of planning/discussion on the forum and twitter. I also think this is about as clear an answer as you're going to get...

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
16 Oct 2012 20:17 #39 by GarethS
Replied by GarethS on topic Re: chain gangs

I would rather see the chain gang move to a shorter circular route on quieter roads and at later (just so I can make it out). On a circular route *ahem* weaker riders could take a lap out, or late comers slip in as they arrive. You could do a Hare n Hounds type ride with the stronger guys trying to chase down a leading group.

Still not sure about it in the winter though.

Maybe some points for discussion at AGM or another meeting (social or otherwise)? They are all fair points and to be honest (and I know I'm new around here, so feel free to tell me to keep schtum) surely discussion of these things is the best way forward.

• billywizz
  • Topic Author
More
16 Oct 2012 20:24 #40 by billywizz
Replied by billywizz on topic Re: chain gangs
I'd be happy to join in one round, say, the Abbotsley circuit .. for sure ... but the Higham Ferrars road (at night in the dark) is too dodgy for me I'm afraid.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Oct 2012 21:08 #41 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: chain gangs
does that mean you will not go on any chain-gangs then...better try out the Sunday club run. get to know the new guys, and then make your mind up... your posting started with how many guys turn up, now you say you will not even go...why not start a chain gang round the TT course.. join the club, make the arrangements, get the guys to to turn up and voila your away..hey you have to join the club though..you can do that on this Sunday when you meet the club..its at the market place St Neots outside zero cafe (closed opens at 09.00 hrs )at 08.30 hrs..good luck...G.....

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Oct 2012 21:13 #42 by geoffrey smith
sorry on a Sunday you will usually have 15 or so riders on a good day we have had over 20... plenty of riders to chat with..2 groups group 1..fast and exciting..group 2 just a little steadier and usually 10 miles less..you make your choice..look forward to seeing you when i am in St Neots at xmas....G

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
17 Oct 2012 20:24 - 17 Oct 2012 20:25 #43 by GarethS
Thank you to all out tonight for yelling me on to the roundabout and back. The final run back into St Neots felt [insert your choice of expletive] worthwhile having made it all the way out and back.

Especial thanks to Crash, Adrian and Tim for tips, encouragement and coaching on the run home as well. See everyone Sunday, and definitely next Wednesday is a goer (usual caveat, work allowing!)
Last edit: 17 Oct 2012 20:25 by GarethS.

More
17 Oct 2012 20:58 #44 by Wayne_Tunnah
Replied by Wayne_Tunnah on topic Re: chain gangs
Well done Gareth, Glad you made it out. Will look forward to sucking your wheel next time I make it out :D

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
17 Oct 2012 21:04 #45 by GarethS
Oh so you're going to be the one yelling at me all the way out and back? :woohoo: :evil:

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Oct 2012 09:05 #46 by geoffrey smith
hi there did billy wiz turn up,ok its too dangerous for him,but i would like to think he popped along on his bike to say HELLO,,i have a feeling he was AWOL.............seams like you had a good ride..the usuall were there..the well done GS.i see you are a fan after one ride..keep it up..remember,miles miles and then more miles..the winners are doing it,the loosers are thinking about it..G... :evil:

• Di2vid Lindsay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • kit whore
More
18 Oct 2012 11:29 #47 by Di2vid Lindsay
Replied by Di2vid Lindsay on topic Re: chain gangs
Longest pointless thread ever? :dry:

I like shiny things

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Oct 2012 14:47 #48 by geoffrey smith
quite agree,, i think it will pass on in the annuls of history as the one that died before it started.but it did or does show how people think different....the majority of "change the route " replies were form riders who do not go on the chain gang...the regulars said nothing..and just got on with it as last night....may be i look at life from a different angle..but deep down i am a softy..G.. :evil:

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds
Go to top