You are not logged in.

× Rides
Let's discuss everything to with rides: club runs, sportives (not SNCC sportive), audaxes, impromptu rides - routes, who's going to ride, ride experiences and so on

chain gangs

• billywizz
  • Topic Author
More
16 Oct 2012 08:28 - 16 Oct 2012 08:45 #25 by billywizz
Replied by billywizz on topic Re: chain gangs
The latest responses are much more encouraging. Thank you all.
Does Geoff live, or spend a lot of time, in France then because he's asked how I know "that stretch of road is dangerous at that time of night if I have not ridden in a group of riders". Has he? In the dark I mean! Or does he spend the winter months in France? I suspect I might be better qualified than he is to draw a judgement having lived in the area, and ridden that particular stretch road, for nigh on 50 years (in the light ... in the dark ... by myself ... and in company). Towards the latter end of that period I've begun to feel quite vulnerable ... not just on that road, but others too. I'd have thought riding it (ie that particular stretch of road) in the dark, even with a few people, is asking for trouble. Just my view, but hey ... what do I know and who am I to argue with Geoff who seems to have done it all, worn the t-shirt etc etc? Chapeau Geoff - do carry on with your excellent (although slightly unorthodox if I might say) membership recruitment campaign!!!
As an aside ... I've only just stumbled on your club's web-site and I'm pleased to see things have definitely moved on since the late 1970s. I can remember racing against Brian Morley. I also remember riding with Geoff Dakin ... who had family interests in Dakin's Nursery at the Black Cat roundabout. Adrian Collard, Bill Bryan, Gerry Ashley etc ... all names that spring to mind and bring back fond memories.
I wonder if I might just be tempted to have another dabble ...
Last edit: 16 Oct 2012 08:45 by billywizz.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Di2vid Lindsay
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • kit whore
More
16 Oct 2012 09:34 #26 by Di2vid Lindsay
Replied by Di2vid Lindsay on topic Re: chain gangs
You are not the only one.

I duck out of chaingangs over the winter months due to the poor visability, wind and also the slipery surface. I've tried it quite few times and I feel very vulnerable. Do I care what people think? No.... I'd rather thrash it out on the turbo or get out on the cross bike when its light.

So basically don't worry what others think!

I like shiny things

More
16 Oct 2012 09:39 #27 by alec
Replied by alec on topic Re: chain gangs
[moderating]Ok guys let's try and keep the banter from here on in reasonably good natured for fear we frighten the children [/moderating]

At least it's been good for forum traffic :-)

Senior Shouting Officer

More
16 Oct 2012 09:51 #28 by tdpennell
Replied by tdpennell on topic Re: chain gangs
Morning Billwiz,
Geoff lives in France half the year and the other half locally in the UK. He knows the route very well in both day light and dark - in fact it was Geoff who introduced the concept of the chain gang to the club.
We hope to see you out with us very soon either on a Wednesday night or a Sunday morning.
Incidentally, you might want to keep an eye out on the forum as sometimes impromptu rides are on here as well.
Tim

More
16 Oct 2012 09:55 #29 by alec

Hi Billy, i'll be out this week so there will be a slow contingent, even if it is only me.

Hmm - I think Billy might be looking for the fastest contingent we can muster...

Senior Shouting Officer

More
16 Oct 2012 10:27 #30 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Re: chain gangs
It's more wishful thinking that there will be a 2nd group as i can't keep up with the first one :)

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
16 Oct 2012 12:12 #31 by GarethS
Replied by GarethS on topic Re: chain gangs

[moderating]Ok guys let's try and keep the banter from here on in reasonably good natured for fear we frighten the children [/moderating]

At least it's been good for forum traffic :-)

Yes boss!

And having had a chat with Wayne on the sidelines, tomorrow is definitely a goer if I get out of London in good time.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Oct 2012 13:29 #32 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: chain gangs
hi there i hope billywiz is NOT a tax investigator, he appears very interested in where i live...but there again, been i have been able to outrun most stuff (usually on the bike )..but i will keep a look out over my shoulder....if billywiz actually manages to as he put it " start again at over 50 or is it 60 ", great stuff we can tell each other just how good we are over a expensive zero coffee after a club run at xmas....bon courage, bonne route au voir ..G.... :evil:

More
16 Oct 2012 14:24 #33 by alec
I get the impression that Billy's not exactly starting out again - I think he's probably got a few miles in over the last few years. I'm sure he'll be able to manage Group 2 without too much bother and it would be good to see such an long standing member back out with the club again. Brian Morley would surely like to see Billy after all these years. Billy - Brian doesn't ride anymore but is one of our two timekeepers for the TT and he comes to all the club social events.

Geoff, I get the feeling that Billy and you would enjoy riding together.

Senior Shouting Officer

• Chrisbpr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • What's the worst that can happen ?
More
16 Oct 2012 15:18 #34 by Chrisbpr
Replied by Chrisbpr on topic Re: chain gangs

Geoff, I get the feeling that Billy and you would enjoy riding together.

Would love to be out for that one !!!! ;) :evil:

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Oct 2012 18:47 #35 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: chain gangs
hi there well as you know. i do not lay down,,a few facts..since august last year there has been 7 posting APART from this one,(8 in all).. regarding the "CHAIN GANG",there has been 1270 punters having a look and there are 65 postings. 100% about the chaingang..plus the club site also adds the chain gang on its "whats on " program (top left hand column each week...i am a bit surprised that with all this info available.a simple question ie how many turn up,, has not been discussed plenty of times...still what do i know...G.... :evil:

• rostlr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Road Race Sec
More
16 Oct 2012 18:49 #36 by rostlr
Replied by rostlr on topic Re: chain gangs
On the route, I don't chain gang as I'm not home in time, but even if I were I wouldn't choose that route. I used to commute along there but gave up after the number of fast close passes (being almost forced off by a lorry decided it for me). Like David said, at peak times I feel too vulnerable on that stretch.

I would rather see the chain gang move to a shorter circular route on quieter roads and at later (just so I can make it out). On a circular route *ahem* weaker riders could take a lap out, or late comers slip in as they arrive. You could do a Hare n Hounds type ride with the stronger guys trying to chase down a leading group.

Still not sure about it in the winter though.

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds
Go to top