You are not logged in.

× Rides
Let's discuss everything to with rides: club runs, sportives (not SNCC sportive), audaxes, impromptu rides - routes, who's going to ride, ride experiences and so on

Tdf cambridge

More
26 Jun 2014 19:31 #37 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Re: Tdf cambridge
Hold those thoughts people, there are plans for a ride into Cambridge itself. There's a couple of routes being recce'd on Sunday so watch this space.

Tony.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2014 12:58 #38 by garyn
Replied by garyn on topic Re: Tdf cambridge
At the moment I'm still favouring Essex rather than Cambs

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
27 Jun 2014 13:38 #39 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Tdf cambridge
I would rather go on the club run..surely everyone who lives in the area know all the roads into Cambridge, its a matter of early start try and see the village / start area (really impossible ) then plod off to a spot on the route..ok ok i know the official route will be "bloque" but a detour here and there should see us get a decent spot... remember you will see about 30 seconds of the "peleton" don't be fooled in thinking you will even see anyone, its just a blur..its all about telling your grand kids. you saw the "tour " in the UK.. oh Me 09.00 market square if no one turns up does not matter..Geoff

More
29 Jun 2014 13:17 #40 by Tony
Route recce'd and it's good :). I'll leaving the car park at Spar in Cambridge Street at 9am sharp, as I'll have my brother-in-law with me (doesn't ride but is fairly fit) we won't be hammering along, and as always we'll work to the pace of the slowest rider. Hopefully we'll hit Cambridge around 10.30 or so. Here's the route:

ridewithgps.com/routes/5051555

If anyone is using the route, but not planning to ride with us FYI the last part from Coton is essentially a footpath and bridge over the M11 (although designated as a cycle path). I fully expect it to be busy so keep your wits about you.
I'm looking at parking the bikes at the Queen's backs erm, racks on the other side of the ring road that will be provided by CCC on the Monday.

FWIW, I'll have a rucksack with some alternative footwear in as I don't want to be in cleats all morning and also somewhere to put bidons, garmin etc etc.

All are more than welcome to join us. If not, Have a great day :).

Tony.

• Chrisbpr
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • What's the worst that can happen ?
More
29 Jun 2014 16:48 #41 by Chrisbpr
Replied by Chrisbpr on topic Re: Tdf cambridge
Tony,
Are you locking your bikes up or are they staying with you ?

What the plans after the peloton have passed by...pub ?

More
29 Jun 2014 17:07 #42 by Tony

Tony,
Are you locking your bikes up or are they staying with you ?

Ahem...

I'm looking at parking the bikes at the Queen's backs erm, racks on the other side of the ring road that will be provided by CCC on the Monday.

That's pretty much where we'll come out on the ring road.

What the plans after the peloton have passed by...pub ?

12.30 kick off so say, 1pm to be on the safe side, I'll be heading back to pick the kids up.

Tony.

More
30 Jun 2014 12:18 #43 by Arron Bird
Replied by Arron Bird on topic Re: Tdf cambridge
Hi

We were thinking avoid Cambridge itself and head out of town

Can meet on the Market Square but we dont really want to be trudging about n cycling shoes and kit just chill somewhere have a bit of a social and ride back home.

Any more thoughts Geoff I`m not sure you can get into Cambridge then ride the route out and sit I think the route will be closed

Keep me posted and thanks

Arron

More
30 Jun 2014 12:29 #44 by Arron Bird

hi there for me i would set off from the Mk Square at about 09.00 hrs..plod off to the start/ park area and suck and see..then ride down the route pick a good spot.(pub//beer.coffee etc ) and sit down and wait.it would be a good time to get to know each of us and have a good day out.. i can assure you it will be MANIC within 1to 2 kms of the start/sign on area...see ya. i am up for it.Geoff

This does sound like a great day out B)

More
30 Jun 2014 12:36 #45 by Arron Bird

More
30 Jun 2014 12:38 #46 by Arron Bird
If you look here there is a route across via melborn etc to Saffron Waldon roughly 33 miles maybe watch from there???

More
30 Jun 2014 12:40 - 30 Jun 2014 12:40 #47 by Arron Bird
a
Last edit: 30 Jun 2014 12:40 by Arron Bird.

More
01 Jul 2014 12:08 #48 by Andrew Kinglake
Replied by Andrew Kinglake on topic Re: Tdf cambridge
As an alternative to the ride into Cambridge to see the start of stage 3, I’m thinking of riding out to Great Shelford which is about 25 miles from the Market Square.

The Caravan runs through Great Shelford at 10.30 and then the race itself at 12.30. I’d personally like to be there for all of this, especially as having seen other bike races the peloton really does pass by in a flash. Therefore an 08.15 start and an easy ride over should see us there before 10.00. It’s an early one, but gives time to hopefully find a decent spot (or a spot) and perhaps pick up some freebies. Having googled about events it appears a number of other clubs are also heading there.

There is a little more information on the Great Shelford website (www.greatshelford.info/home/tour-de-fran...road-closure-details) and the route I had thought of is: connect.garmin.com/modern/course/7107661 I think this also means that those who would prefer to drive might be able to get fairly close as well.

A leisurely ride back to St Neots with a Tea Room or Pub Lunch for those who would like it sounds an ideal finish to the day.

Any other takers (or suggestions)?

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds
Go to top