You are not logged in.

× General Club Chat

The place for general chat about St Neots Cycling Club

Bike comfort / suspension seat posts

More
10 Jan 2016 14:32 #13 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Re: Bike comfort / suspension seat posts

I've discussed my issues with a few people and a couple have said "it's not the wheels, it's the gearing". Can anyone explain this to me, as despite being an A-grade maths student at school, I don't understand the logic.

I can explain it, they're just wrong. Different chainrings won't make a scrap of difference unless you're doing over 30 on the flat in which case you'd be spinning out.

Dave's nailed it though, just ride it more and you'll get used to it. I ride mine off and on road and it's a little slower (moreso with guards on) and has a more upright position than my road bike. It took a couple of rides but I'm used to it now and with the exception of the useless cantilever brakes on it, it'd be the bike I'd keep if I had to have just one (but that's not going to happen :) ).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Jan 2016 15:35 #14 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Bike comfort / suspension seat posts
I think you are not fit enough. 50 miles a week in winter is just 1 ride..100 in summer is about 2....you cannot BUY fitness you cannot buy SPEED,,Just ask the guys who go out on the chaingang or 1st group, they all know you must get miles in,, its horses for courses but at your present mileage you are just wasting your money on new gear,,,sorry please do not take this the wrong way , the more miles in the legs the better you get and your body gets fitter as well .. good luck just try and get in at least 250kms per week,,,, Geoff

• Chrisbpr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • What's the worst that can happen ?
More
12 Jan 2016 14:21 #15 by Chrisbpr
Replied by Chrisbpr on topic Re: Bike comfort / suspension seat posts
Out of interest Mike what sort of pace are you getting dropped at ?

• MikeB
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jan 2016 22:05 #16 by MikeB
Replied by MikeB on topic Re: Bike comfort / suspension seat posts
Geoff, no offence taken, but change the record for Christ's sake (actually, we've been on CDs for a fair few years and they're on the way out). I'm not in a position to cycle every day like you, and I don't aspire to keep up with the chaingang boys. I'm just a regular club rider who enjoys getting out on his bike with good company. I think that 4,000 miles a year for a club rider is quite reasonable - not as impressive as your 10,000 - but still OK. My point is that I'm normally comfortable at the medium club run pace on my road bike but I'm struggling to keep up on my CX and I'm trying to work out why. My fitness hasn't suddenly changed because I've changed stead.

Chris, I'm normally good for 18+ mph over 50 miles on the road bike, but was at my limit at 16.5mph on the CX over the same distance. The CX is a couple of kilos heavier, but I didn't think it would make 1.5 mph difference. I had some comfort issues initially, but I've addressed those now.

• geoffrey smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 Jan 2016 09:38 - 14 Jan 2016 09:39 #17 by geoffrey smith
Replied by geoffrey smith on topic Re: Bike comfort / suspension seat posts
spend your money.........G
Last edit: 14 Jan 2016 09:39 by geoffrey smith.

More
14 Jan 2016 13:01 #18 by Simon.R
Replied by Simon.R on topic Re: Bike comfort / suspension seat posts
I bet you're keeping it all in your wallet to put towards the £600 for a 40 mile ride 'on public roads' :ohmy:

• MikeB
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jan 2016 16:55 #19 by MikeB
Which will help me go faster - some new wheels or a chat with David Millar?

More
15 Jan 2016 08:25 #20 by Tony
Replied by Tony on topic Re: Bike comfort / suspension seat posts

I bet you're keeping it all in your wallet to put towards the £600 for a 40 mile ride 'on public roads' :ohmy:

I'll put my best cockney accent on for this " 'ooowwww muuch? ", you could buy some golf clubs for that kind of money...

More
15 Jan 2016 11:14 #21 by Simon.R
Replied by Simon.R on topic Re: Bike comfort / suspension seat posts
...and I bet you wouldn't even get the slo-mo close-up for your money either

• Chrisbpr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Jan 2016 09:09 #22 by Chrisbpr

Chris, I'm normally good for 18+ mph over 50 miles on the road bike, but was at my limit at 16.5mph on the CX over the same distance. The CX is a couple of kilos heavier, but I didn't think it would make 1.5 mph difference. I had some comfort issues initially, but I've addressed those now.

my twopenny worth...

the difference between the kaff and my old ally allez over a 200k audax is about 1.5/2 mph ,so weight will make a difference.ask any other club member who runs a heaver winter bike against their pretty summer bike would probably agree.

without getting into a medium (old group 2) argument about average speed i think that 16.5 mph is about the right mark for the slower of the groups at this time of year and if they are waiting for you too catch up after the climbs then thats ok,if not then perhaps they need to be trying their legs with a faster group !

i would always advocate a wheel upgrade on a mid range bike ( i dont know what price point your came in at) as manufactures have to trim the budget somewhere if you have a shiny groupset/decent frame and i would leave the gearing alone .when i went from no branded wheels to fulcrums on my allez the difference was quite significant ( others may disagree :) )

At the end of the day dont get hung up on the numbers and just enjoy riding.

• MikeB
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jan 2016 13:44 #23 by MikeB
Chris,

Having chewed on this for a while, I think there are several issues at play: heavier bike / heavy wheels / loss of fitness having dropped from ~ 100 miles per week to ~ 50 miles per week around end Oct / minor health issues.

I fully support your comment about ignoring the numbers and just enjoy riding, but I'm finding it difficult to enjoy when I'm hanging on for all I'm worth!

Action plan:

1. Stick with the heavier bike - it'll do me good in the long run;
2. Wheel upgrade;
3. Ride more to get fitter;
4. Treat health issues (chiropractor & zinc).

Thanks all for the comments.

Mike

• Chrisbpr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
18 Jan 2016 14:24 #24 by Chrisbpr
My fitness dropped when my son came along and I can't get out as much because of shift work,that's just life and I have embraced bring the slowest rider in the group ;)

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds
Go to top