× General Club Chat

The place for general chat about St Neots Cycling Club

Bike comfort / suspension seat posts

• MikeB
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jan 2016 19:52 #25 by MikeB
Replied by MikeB on topic Re: Bike comfort / suspension seat posts
I should probably do the same but I'm too stubborn ..... And I want some new wheels!

Which wheels do you run on your disc bike, Chris?

I don't want to spend more than about £250 so I've been considering:

Fulcrum sport
Fulcrum Racing 5
Magic Aksium
Magic Ksyrium

None of them are particularly light though (around 1800g the pair bare)

I had homed in on Kinesis Cross light v3 (1550g) but they aren't compatible with a thru axle. The v4 is compatible but they use centre lock brake rotors which seem to cost twice as much as the 6-bolt type. May still be my best option though.

The plan is to use the new set of wheels for the road and use the original set off-road, thereby removing the need to keep changing tyres (and buggering the inner tubes in the process)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Chrisbpr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • What's the worst that can happen ?
More
18 Jan 2016 20:29 #26 by Chrisbpr
Replied by Chrisbpr on topic Re: Bike comfort / suspension seat posts
Deore hubs with some standard disc time so weigh about a ton each ;) have a word about the crosslights as a lot of disc wheels cover all Axel types.hunt wheels look good but they are around the £350 mark. The thing is that the spoke count is quite low in some wheels and if you venture into the rough stuff you could taco the wheel.

• Chrisbpr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • What's the worst that can happen ?
More
18 Jan 2016 20:30 #27 by Chrisbpr
Replied by Chrisbpr on topic Re: Bike comfort / suspension seat posts
Oh and some wheels do come with conversion to go from Center lock to six hole. Worth checking.

More
19 Jan 2016 08:47 #28 by Ollyw
Replied by Ollyw on topic Re: Bike comfort / suspension seat posts
Hi Mike,
If you are deadset on getting new wheels then handbuilt are a surprisingly cheap option as well as off the shelf. I have a couple of pairs done specially because of my ahem "strength" of mavic open pro and they ended up cheaper than the off shelf equivalents. Not had a broken spoke since.

Guy i use is called harry rowland and there are plenty of others i am sure but you can check him out at (www.harryrowland.co.uk/)

He might help you with what you want

cheers
Olly

p.s. remember the gearing does matter even if the ratio is the same because its about the power drive in a straight line which is always the most efficient. Also the more teeth you engage with on the drive section makes the process more efficient. THis is part of the principle of oval rings (if you believe in them)

p.p.s. TBH, best way is to lose fat, ride more (or as much as you can/want to) like me.... :P

• GarethS
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Monkey with keyboard
More
20 Jan 2016 09:49 #29 by GarethS
Replied by GarethS on topic Re: Bike comfort / suspension seat posts
On the wheels front I'll throw the Stan's No Tubes Grails into the ring, I picked them up as a spare set for the CX bike and currently have wet/muddy condition tyres on there but rode them with 28mm Schwalbe Ones out in Denmark

They are already set-up for tubeless tyres or you can run them with an inner tube and put the sealant inside that.

Good set of wheels in my mind, very good freehub (quick pick-up on the engagement of the mechanism), good bearings and already QR skewer and six bolt disc mount. I've slapped a set of Hope 160mm discs straight on them and swap between these and my Planet X CX tubs that came with the bike a lot as you can imagine.

As Olly says handbuilt is also an option, before I got the Stan's I had looked at one of the WTB CX rims with Hope hubs and Sapim (sp?) spokes, all in all around the same weight as the Stan's, similar price point once built and WTB alleges it's a relatively bomb proof hub.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds
Go to top